Cool breeze

Monday, July 09, 2007

The Life Aquatic (2 of 2)

My 'boss' told stories of his encounters with reef sharks. He'd lived to tell, right? But I really didn't want to have to deal with that adrenaline rush. Ever thankful that I didn't need to. This doesn't mean that there weren't proxies for presence of a terrible predator nearby. I remember Malindi especially. We'd be swimming around counting fish (hey! someone's got to do it) and they'd suddenly disappear behind corals and holes, just.like.that. So you, poor bumbling human, would know something large and scary was around. And that you were currently the most visible bait. Saw a school of jacks. Beautiful (in the same way a poisonous snake is), looking very predatory, and fortunately, not crazy about the flavor of human flesh. Phew! Soon as they passed (as they looked around for the slow fish), the fish re-emerged to continue with their play.
Ran into a couple of moray eels (said to have razor sharp teeth that can bite a finger clean off your hand), and some bonafide poisonous fish. Worst of all was the stone fish. I was so chaffed when I recognized it from amongst the coral rubble! Then the lion fish which was highly visible, inviting you to just come closer... and closer...







Stonefish














Lionfish







It would be terribly remiss of me not to mention the sea urchins. Studied them... at length. (Grinning) never once was I stung/stuck by one. Ever. (Glowering) Did I hear you say wimp? I knew how to get the spines out anyway... should that ever have been an eventuality. Raw pawpaw sap. Cut open a raw pawpaw, or the pawpaw stem, smear the white 'milk' around the spines sticking into your skin. Makes it easier to extract the spines. They're like the deadly Rift Valley tribal clashes arrows: easy to enter, difficult to get out. Raw pawpaw is a 'meat tenderizer'. Honest to goodness. Just go behind Mckinnon market at coast, just past/adjacent to? Somali market, where there are vendors selling greens, mabuyu, achari, mint, mabuyu powder (a great wrinkle exterminator - according to my sister), (nasty) breadfruit, etc. Ask for raw pawpaw - papai mbichi (it's cut to resemble 'tambi' - a ramadhan delicacy), then ask what it's good for.








Sea urchin






Sardine season? Incroyable! Schools of them! The Indian Ocean version of the 'Serengeti migration' and what a sight to behold, in and above water. A streaming silver-blue river, darting here and here, ever onward. And all the fishermen going crazy! You couldn't find enough nets. You'd have to be a pretty exceptional individual (or very single dude - no wife to pressure you) not to go home with any catch during sardine season. Sardines galore! Smoked, dried, fresh, frozen, and I'm sure Wananchi Marine got some canned... (sardine season just about gives BubbaGump compe on the whole 'shcrimp' story).







Sardine hauls and predators



Had forgotten the good side of aquatic life until I met cool diver dude. Now, he's done a whole lot more than I have. Regaled me with tales of seeing a nguva/dugong/mermaid/sea cow/manatee; the best manta ray 'cleaning stations' along the African Indian Ocean coast. How cleaner wrasses have learnt to clean humans too… reminding me of the sergeant majors of Mombasa Marine Park: they hear engines approaching and swim to the surface, nip at exposed parts of you that look like they might be the bread thrown to them by glass bottomed boat operators who want to give their non-swimming clients something to see at the surface. Doesn’t hurt really, just irritating.

Want to experience it all ? Holla kando.

Talk to any East African fisherman, and he'll tell you how indescribably sweet (and medicinal) a dugong's meat is (ditto for turtle flesh). Yes, yes, the dugong is an endangered marine mammal, normally sighted only in Lamu and Bazaruto. Would I eat one? Don't you want to ask me this question when you're standing before me offering up a roast piece of dugong meat (and playing the refrain "only elephants should wear ivory/turtles wear turtle shell")? Otherwise, it'd simply be too academic a question.

The life aquatic. I thirst for it. Been landlocked too darned long.

4 Comments:

  • It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

    Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

    You must not feel obliged to come and visit me. An invitation is not an intimation. Also know that if you click on one of my ads I'm promised to earn 8 cents for that: I would feel happy if you did click it, but once again you're totaly free to do what ever you want. That's the whole beauty of it all.

    I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

    By Blogger joshua, At Mon Jul 09, 01:24:00 PM  

  • Joshua, obrigada para o teu commento.

    By Blogger Rista, At Mon Jul 09, 01:33:00 PM  

  • Yes, I do want to eat dugong.

    Went snorkelling in the Caribbean off the Jamaican coast, and there were simply no fish. At least nothing in terms of variety compared to what I saw in the Indian.

    Do you do scuba diving or just snorkelling? I haven't gotten the courage to tackle scuba.

    By Blogger egm, At Mon Jul 09, 05:41:00 PM  

  • Hi egm,
    (shock and horror) You would contribute to the demise of the dugong? What would you tell your grandkids? Better to take them out and show them than to try explain something non-existent to them!

    East Africa is still very fortunate. I'd even go as far as saying that it's a bonafide (marine) paradise, but that would be too effusive.

    Diving... it's been a heck of a while, hopefully still remember how to do it. Will see in December.

    By Blogger Rista, At Tue Jul 10, 08:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home