Cool breeze

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Man I Want To Marry

Browsing Kenyan papers online this morning, I came across the man of my dreams: Marathon winner wants to be large-scale farmer in The Standard. (it's not the money that makes him attractive, it's the mindset... honest!)

Hosea Kiprotich Rotich now wants to buy land with the Sh1.75 million he won during the Standard Chartered Marathon. "I have made up my mind to buy land with the prize money," he said. Rotich, a forest ranger at Aberdares Game Reserve, said when he finished first on Sunday, he was too excited and confused to comment on his future plans.

Asked whether he would quit his job as a forest ranger, Rotich said: "Oh, no! Wise people do not forget where they came from. This is where I started and I intend to continue with my job," he said. {this is where my knees started melting... such wisdom... I wonder if he's married?}

He said his life would not change despite the fact that he was venturing into farming. "I am not thinking about buying flashy cars and spoiling myself. This is a chance to build my life which has been on the rocks," he said. {What? No bling? Chance to build his life? This is definitely the man for me!}

At the moment, he said, he is looking forward to big time marathons like the New York and the Boston. Married with a daughter, he said he started training in 2003 and has never won any major race.
{
Dagnabit! There goes my fantasy... Well, hope he really will build his life and not fall prey to the whole 'once your pocket gets heavy it means you add another woman to your harem' syndrome. All the best Bwana Rotich. And watch out for those thugs... they read the papers too.}


Aah, our education system... "I am a class seven dropout and cannot read or write." When (according to Kenyan education system) are you supposed to learn how to read and write again?



4 Comments:

  • (it's not the money that makes him attractive, it's the mindset... honest!)
    Yeah, I'm sure the Sh1.75 million has nothing whatsoever to do with it! Sure you would have been drawn to him if he had never run the marathon and was still just a broke-ass (though mature) ranger.

    By Blogger Gathara, At Tue Oct 31, 01:30:00 PM  

  • LOL! Gathara, he had to stand out of the broke-ass crowd in some way, and winning the marathon, and the interview is that way. O' ye of little faith... (tut tut)

    By Blogger Rista, At Tue Oct 31, 04:20:00 PM  

  • This is a man with a straight head on his shoulders! I like his focus. As for the other chap you would be surprised how poor the education is in rural areas.

    By Blogger Acolyte, At Tue Oct 31, 09:40:00 PM  

  • Aco, ya know! Hopefully he won't let folk use him. I am gobsmacked that you can go all the way to std.7 and remain illiterate. Someone (in the ministry) needs to be caned!

    By Blogger Rista, At Wed Nov 01, 05:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home