Cool breeze

Monday, September 04, 2006

I love this city!

Maputo continues to live up to my romanticized image of it... Like every African city, it has the bourgie and the regular sides. I love the bourgie side of it... look forward to someday exploring the regular side.

What I love most about it? The progress I've seen over the (past 5) years I've made my annual pilgrimage. The current mayor of the city is Michuki-esque in that he made enough money before becoming mayor, so budgetary allocations actually see the light of day. Two things I appreciate so far:


1. Lovers' garden (Jardim dos namorados)


and 2. The Saturday Craft Market (was unpaved and unpretty last year)



Some really great abstract art sold there... after looking at some of it I concluded that the bilas train has never hurt so bad!

3 Comments:

  • Great pics!That city is really beautiful.As for the bilas train, I have no idea why chics complain when there are myriad dudes out there ready to help out!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Sep 04, 09:58:00 PM  

  • I went to Maputo in the early 90s and fell in love with the city too - there was much to love but I especially loved the music (Ghorwane, in particular) and the food (huge prawns and crabs).

    Enjoy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Sep 04, 10:18:00 PM  

  • @aco
    Thanks. the pics don't do it justice though. it's very relaxed, and still quite safe to walk around (in the touristy areas).
    The bilas train: it's not easy to find someone to help out (while complying with the ABCs of safer sex... in a place with 30% infection rate) so i'm working on channeling the sexual energy towards work (and next week, i'll try to stop the moon from rising :D )

    @mshairi
    prawns and crabs are still abundant, music's gotten a little more hip-hoppy, but the kizomba music and dancing are to die for... talk about doing the 'vertical mambo'! Karibu tena.

    By Blogger Rista, At Mon Sep 04, 11:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home